Hereford 11 Newent 8

Newent travelled the 20 miles to Wyeside with the hope of completing a double over Hereford having been victors by a comprehensive score on their own turf. However, this is a local derby and nothing is certain. Both teams showed their intentions early on and despite the damp and greasy state of the pitch showed inclinations to run the ball. The visitors struck first with a try which the Wyesiders soon equalised before Newent slotted a penalty to give them an interval lead of 8 points to 5. In the second half, the Hereford pack turned up the gas and it was the pressure they exerted which won a number of penalties, two of which were kicked to secure a well-earned victory.

A delighted Head Coach, Scott Sturdy said “A positive result at home to Newent, in a toughly contested game between two very physical sides, who both defended well. Newent showed their class early doors, scoring a great edge-to-edge try putting us under pressure. There was a great response from the Hereford lads, they put together a well-constructed driving maul, then managed the game well towards the end, something which we have been working on for the past few weeks.

We kicked the penalties to get ourselves in front, then in the last three or four minutes we closed the game out really well. A really positive result against a team that has sat in the top echalons of the league all season. It breaks up the run of form that we’ve been on, with several narrow losses. A tough afternoon for our 1870s playing at home to table toppers Harbury. This shows what the top end of that Counties 3 looks like. It’s been a great season for the 1870s after promotion last season and it’s a great opportunity to see where we need to improve to be there or thereabouts next season, A grand weekend at Wyeside both sides at home for the first time. Now we come to the run in, the HRFC team make the long trip to Stratford next weekend, if anyone is able to come and support us, we urge you to do so. The 1870s will be in action at home so please if you can, come down and support us.”


For the first fifteen minutes, the teams played kick tennis and it was Hereford who broke the pattern with a nice handling movement. The ball was moved through hands until it reached Iwan Holder, who ran out of space and was tackled into touch. Newent were winning a number of penalties, which they kicked to touch. From one of these, they won good lineout ball, moved the ball wide and found a gap in the Hereford defence to cross for a try in the corner. The conversion attempt was wide. This really was an easy shot with a 9 iron. Hereford increased pressure and a catch and drive from a lineout was driven over for Scott Robinson to touch down to equalise at 5 apiece. As the interval approached Newent kicked a penalty to lead by 8 points to 5.

The second half was untidy, many minor injuries and some ill-tempered exchanges extended the game time to almost a hundred minutes. The Hereford pack increased control as the half progressed and forced a number of penalties, two of which Iwan Holder slotted to give Hereford the lead for the first time at 11 – 8.

Newent missed with a penalty, but did not otherwise make any real challenge to the Hereford lead. Despite a determined and aggressive run into the Newent 22 by Jake Cheshire and a neat cross-kick from Dean Powell which just eluded the chaser, the Wyesiders were unable to add to their score. Hereford were good value for their 4 league points and Newent had to be satisfied with their losing bonus. The Hereford pack laid the foundation for victory, the front 5 worked hard to win control in the set pieces and supported the back row in some effective loose play. The backs were excellent in defence and might easily have had more success in attack had the ground conditions not been so difficult.

The 1870s entertained league toppers Harbury at Wyeside and came out on the wrong end of a 14-32 defeat Their tries were scored by Jurijs Kudrjavcevs and Neil Clarke and Ollie Bullied converted both. The 1870s entertain Bedworth at Wyeside next week, whilst the HRFC team travel to Stratford upon Avon.